Encouraging students to read a wide range of texts across the curriculum is a key priority at Summerhill. To support this, we are delighted to launch 'Read First!' for all students in Years 7, 8 and 9.
'Read First!' is an opportunity to read a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction texts that link thematically to each term's topics across the curriculum. In the first lesson of every topic, students undertake a reading activity and related tasks to whet their appetite for that term's learning.
The activities enable them to engage with challenging academic texts, develop their vocabulary skills, learn to summarise texts and improve their reading comprehension. By starting every topic in this way, we're putting reading first and reinforcing our message that reading is important in every subject.
The full anthology of this term's 'Read First!' extracts are available below. You can support your child's reading by using them in a number of ways, including:
- reading the extracts out loud
- asking your child to read the extract to you
- exploring challenging vocabulary in each extract
- summarising the key points in each extract
- asking questions about their understanding of the text
- discussing how the text links to their learning in that subject
We will continue to 'read first' as the year progresses and look forward to supporting and encouraging students' reading habits and love of reading!